Nine Months of MTGA: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


Last December, I decided to install MTGA and see what it’s all about. I did it because of two reasons. First, I was writing an article about why Arena is actually good for MTGO players in the long term. Second, I wanted to have a foot in the door of Arena just in case WotC starts offering paths to actual tournaments through Arena play. Nine months later, here we are. Before I started Arena, I was playing MTGO a few hours every day. I take weeklong breaks every once in a while, but I’ve been consistent in this habit. Before long, I had gone months without playing MTGO, and only play Arena for 1-2 hours a day versus about double those numbers when I was doing MTGO. I still played every once in a while on MTGO, doing some sealed when a new set is released (and when it becomes very cheap to do towards the end of the season) and doing some pauper leagues every now and then, but for the past 9 months, I have primarily played Arena.

Now, where has this gotten me? That is the point of this article. In the following sections, I break down the good, the bad, and the ugly of my 9-month foray into MTGA. Hopefully, this can be useful to those who are thinking of transitioning from one platform to the other.

The Good

I play a lot less of MTGA per day than I did with MTGO. Much of this has to do with matches on MTGO all being BO3, and so it really takes some time to finish a 5-match constructed league or a 9-match sealed league. Also, this has to do with what I want to get out of playing, which is primarily that bit of a high from winning. In MTGA, I can spend an hour and get a 7-x from a constructed event or jump from platinum 4 to platinum 2 or maybe even further. That’s enough to satisfy me for the day. On MTGO, a league takes at least 2 hours to finish, and it’s more common for me to end up at 3-2 than something better (or worse). So I’ve come to take 3-2 as a win, but really, winning 1 treasure chest after over 2 hours of play hardly evokes a rewarding feeling.

After 9 months, I’ve come to understand the economy of MTGA and I do like it better than MTGO. Now, good MTGO players may read this and have their arms up in the air as though shouting “what economy? It’s a money sink!” It’s true, you cannot cash out of Arena whereas you can make what would even be regarded as a livable wage in some 3rd world countries from playing MTGO. However, if your intention is to play standard format magic competitively, it is far easier to do this on MTGA’s economy than MTGO’s. In MTGO, playing standard competitively takes a lot more effort because not only do you have to be good at magic, you have to be attentive to the secondary market as well. You want to buy staples when they hit their lows and sell hyped duds when they are at the height of their hype. Doing this with any level of consistency has not been my strong point. I have gotten lucky a few times (e.g. bought 5 sets of radiant destiny on set release at about $1 ea sold all but 1 set for $5 ea over the weekend), but I also have a few carnage tyrants, a Lyra, a set of Jadelight rangers, and many other staples that I was unable to unload in time before their prices were decimated. On Arena, there is no secondary market. Instead, it is feasible to just collect all the cards. Currently, I have nearly all the rares from GRN to Core 20 and about 80% of all mythics. In addition, I have enough gems and gold to make short work of completing TED within a month after its release. I can then just cycle all the resources I spent back by playing and have at least the same resources ready for the next expansion. I never have to worry about which cards would eventually become duds, or at which point the value of staples would evaporate because I have all of them.

The Bad

Recently, I made some calculations on the amount of resources I have accumulated from Arena priced according to how much value the cards would have if I had them on MTGO. At present, the cost of all standard cards on MTGO is $382. In sets, that’s $1528. However, some of those cards are from rotating sets so the total value would likely be closer to $1490 (rotating cards are worth very little on MTGO). Add to this the gold I accumulated and we can peg the total to about $1600. Sadly, when I compare this to my records on how much I have accumulated and cashed out of MTGO on average in 9 months of my regular play, $1600 falls short by about 30%. The fact that I cannot cash this out of MTGA makes this realization even worse.

So, I guess I was right when I wrote this article where I claimed that choosing MTGA over MTGO is still a value-negative proposition. Playing MTGA carries with it a premium cost over MTGO, which is I guess is reasonable since MTGA is made for players to have fun and enjoy MTG, whereas MTGO lacks all the bells and whistles and requires much more effort in terms of managing one's assets. Was it worth it? I honestly do not have an answer for that. However, I have resolved to start doing more MTGO limited when TED comes out, and find a way to balance playing on two platforms. I am still intent on playing standard exclusively on MTGA.

The Ugly

Honestly? All the drama. MTGO does not have drama and I have not felt the need to post anything on the MTGO sub unless I require some information. What’s more, the issues that the dramas are about are either so compelling or so asinine that they rarely fail to get a rouse out of me; and I wonder, factoring in the time I take to indulge in engaging in the online melees, if I end up saving any time at all. However, I also cannot deny that engaging in argument is something that I do enjoy on occasion, and I guess all the drama is part of what makes MTGA a success. There would not be a lot of people complaining if there were not a lot of people playing the game in the first place.

May the shuffler be with you.

Comments